Climate change is one of the biggest global concerns in recent years and is justifiably prioritised in most agendas. You only have to turn on the news or look out your window to see the impact of climate change. More frequent and intense droughts, storms, heat waves, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and warming oceans can directly harm animals, destroy the places they live, and wreak havoc on our lives and communities. As climate change worsens, dangerous weather events are becoming more frequent or severe which is why we must all do our bit to protect this precious planet for all of us.
Laker BMS is committed to protecting the environment by having as little negative impact on it as possible. We believe actions speak louder than words and have joined the SME Climate Hub in their pledge to reduce carbon emissions and work towards achieving net zero. The SME Climate Hub helps SME’s achieve net zero by offering practical advice and solutions that will make a difference.
As part of our pledge, our company has committed to taking action immediately in order to:
- Halve our greenhouse gas emissions before 2030
- Achieve net zero emissions before 2050
- Disclose our progress on a yearly basis
We have already implemented several changes within the business:
- A more fuel efficient fleet with reduced emissions introduced in 2021 and 2022, reducing our carbon output by 24%.
- All office lighting has been replaced with LED lights; and smart heating controls fitted to minimise wasteful heating.
- A new computer system in 2021 was designed to help improve works planning to minimise our daily journeys.
- Several Electric vehicle trials. Whilst we are being held back due to ‘range limitations’ of current vans, this is rapidly improving and we will be ready to switch to an electric fleet as soon as vans have an improved range.
- We recycle all our waste from both site works and our offices, working with our key Supply Partners such as PF Aherne. In the last six months alone, we have diverted over 36 tonnes of general waste such as cardboard, wood, hardcore, metal and paper away from landfill.
There are many more new and exciting plans ahead, and we hope to achieve net zero years ahead of the Governments 2050 target!
In doing this, we are proud to be recognised by the United Nations Race to Zero campaign, and join governments, businesses, cities, regions, and universities around the world with the same mission.
More information The SME Climate Hub can be found here: SME Climate Hub